Efficacy and efficiency of targeted intraoperative single-dose radiotherapy for breast cancer patients confirmed

Madeira Public Health Service SESARAM EPERAM collaborates with the EU | mifuturonorcal

New long-term results from the international TARGIT-A breast cancer study, based on ZEISS technology, have been published[1]

JENA/ GERMANY, August 27, 2020 Use of targeted intraoperative radiotherapy (TARGIT), single dose – with ZEISS INTRABEAM – immediately after removal of a tumor, confirmed as non-inferior, compared to external beam radiotherapy (EBRT). Within the scope of the study accuracy, the risk of local recurrence of breast cancer is similar and death from non-breast cancer is reduced. The TARGIT-A randomized multicenter phase 3 study involving 2298 patients with a mean patient follow-up time of 8.6 years meets the highest scientific standards.

Globally, more than 40,000 patients in more than 350 breast cancer centers have already been treated with the TARGIT method. « Single-dose intraoperative radiotherapy for early-stage breast cancer may be a better alternative to conventional whole-breast radiotherapy for most patients during primary tumor management, » said principal investigator Professor Jayant Vaidya. professor of surgery and oncology and scientific director at University College London at the time of the presentation of the study results. “These excellent results provide real clinical justification for a single intraoperative radiotherapy in eligible patients with early breast cancer. It is now essential to develop the corresponding treatment guidelines as soon as possible, » added Professor Jeffrey Tobias, professor of oncology at University College London and co-initiator of the TARGIT-A study.

Positive clinical trial results validate TARGIT as an option in the treatment of breast cancer
The local recurrence-free survival rate of women treated with single dose TARGIT is non-inferior compared to EBRT. Mortality in the TARGIT arm was even lower due to fewer cardiovascular deaths.

“We are delighted with the positive results, as INTRABEAM 600 from ZEISS now represents an outstanding treatment alternative for many patients. We are confident that the procedure can now find its way into daily clinical practice,” said Ludwin Monz, CEO of Carl Zeiss Meditec AG .

[1] https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m2836

TARGIT method emphasized as efficiency-oriented treatment
‘This study reflects two decades of interdisciplinary clinical research by leading oncologists, surgeons, physicists and health economists. The TARGIT-A study has offered many breast cancer patients a treatment that is well-tolerated, effective, cost-effective, and highly cost-effective, » summarized Professor William Small, professor of radiation-oncology at Loyola University Chicago and one of the world’s leading radiation oncologists.

Press contacts:
Petra Rettenmaier
Responsible for displaying marketing communications
Carl Zeiss Meditec AG
Telephone: +49 7364 204-232
Email: press.meditec@zeiss.com

Contact for investors
Sebastian Freiricks
Investor Relations Director
Carl Zeiss Meditec AG
Telephone: +49 3641 220-116
Email: investor.meditec@zeiss.com


Brief profile
Carl Zeiss Meditec AG (ISIN: DE0005313704) is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and is included in the German stock indices MDAX and TecDAX. The company provides innovative technologies and application-oriented solutions designed to help physicians improve their patients’ quality of life. The company offers comprehensive solutions for the diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases, including implants and consumables. In microsurgery, the company provides innovative visualization solutions. With approximately 3,230 employees worldwide, the company generated revenues totaling €1,459.3 million in the 2018/19 fiscal year (ended September 30).

The company is headquartered in Jena, Germany. The company has branches in Germany and abroad; more than 50% of its employees are based in the United States, Japan, Spain and France. The Center for Application and Research (CARIn) in Bangalore, India and the Carl Zeiss Innovations Center for Research and Development in Shanghai, China strengthen the company’s presence in these rapidly developing economies. Approximately 41 percent of Carl Zeiss Meditec AG shares are free float. The remaining approx. 59% is held by Carl Zeiss AG, one of the world’s leading companies in the optical and optoelectronic sectors.

For more information please visit: www.zeiss.com/med