Traditionally, kefir is made using cow’s or goat’s milk which is combined with kefir grains to produce a thick, probiotic-rich drink. However, because fruit kefir is made with sugar water, it’s a good option for those who choose to avoid dairy; whether for health reasons, dietary restrictions or personal reasons. Read on to learn more about this refreshing drink and its health benefits.
What is fruit kefir?
THE fruit kefir is a fermented drink naturally sparkling. The drink is prepared by dissolving kefir grains in a sugar water solution. Known as Japanese crystal, fruit kefir grains are a symbiotic assortment of bacterial and yeast strains, which need a sugary water environment to thrive.
The microbial strains in fruit kefir feed on the sugar in the water and produce a slightly sweet and tart carbonated drink. Fruit kefir is a fermentation product. Being the result of a fermentation process, alcohol is a naturally occurring component in fruit kefir. The amount of alcohol in this drink varies from less than 1 to 3% depending on the temperature and maceration time. Unless you want to make kefir, limit steeping time to 24-48 hours away from light.
Why should I consume it?
Fruit kefir is great for many reasons, especially its health benefits and delicious taste.
- Rich in probiotics, kefir strengthens our immune system. It contains many vitamins, such as vitamins A, B2, B12, D and K. This promotes good digestion and also protects against harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Many studies also link kefir to cancer prevention. A study shows that kefir can prevent the formation of tumors.
- Because fruit kefir is caffeine-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, and low in sugar, almost anyone can drink it, including kids.
- Taste-wise, it does not disappoint. It is slightly tart and very flavorful. In fact, it’s like sparkling lemonade that’s actually really good for you. If you make it at home, try adding different fruits! Get creative with flavors like Lemonade Lemonade, Strawberry Peach Lemonade, or Pomegranate Cranberry Lemonade.
- Kefir juice probiotics remove toxins from the body and blood. So you notice that your skin becomes healthier and more radiant after drinking fruit kefir for a few weeks.
- Thanks to its high concentration of beneficial bacteria, adding fruit kefir to your daily diet could give your immune system a nice boost.